Our Competition and Antitrust team provide wide-ranging legal support to our clients on this area of law. Our clients include insurance companies, trade associations and corporations. This portfolio is spearheaded by our Tunku Farik, Ms. Tan Sixin and Mr. Edmund Liew.
Investigations by the Malaysian
Competition Commission (MYCC)
We have represented a total of six (6) insurance companies in a cartel investigation by the MYCC.
We also represented a number of insurance companies in their appeal against the MYCC’s decision to the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT) that has just completed and is awaiting a decision from the CAT.
We also regularly advise clients on competition and compliance issues. Our experience in this area include: -
- reviewing agreements to identify any areas of potential non-compliance with the Competition Act 2010 (CA 2010);
- advising clients in its response to MYCC’s notice to require provision of information under Section 18 of the CA 2010;
- conducting a comprehensive review exercise to assess whether the guidelines, industry circulars and notices issued by a trade association and whether all its existing agreements with its member companies are in compliance with the CA 2010 and preparing an assessment report to be submitted to Bank Negara Malaysia;
- advising clients on mitigating and/or remedying any potential breach of competition law and the appropriate actions to be taken; and
- advising clients on whether their current business operations and/or administrative procedures comply with the provisions of the CA 2010 and providing compliance training and/or talks to their legal and business units.